One of La Crosse's Most Historic Landmarks
A Few Facts About the Mons Anderson House...
- The house was built in 1854. Construction continued in 1861 by A.W. Shepard, mason contractor.
- Construction continued in 1877, when the house was enlarged to its present size and completed in 1878.
- Materials used in the building's construction included: buff colored stone, a tin roof, parquet floors, ornate plasterwork, a variety of woods, a notable second floor library, and a wrought iron fence.
- The house was officially placed on the Federal Register for the National Register of Historic Sites on May 6th, 1975.
- The style of the house's architecture is listed as "Gothic Revival."
- This property is eligible for Federal Preservation Funds.
- It is significant in its style of architecture and because of a locally significant person.
- From the "National Register Nomination Form" submitted by the State Historical Society Preservation Division on January 15th, 1975: "In its day, the Mons Anderson house was the most elegant in La Crosse. Today, the house is one of the finest mid-nineteenth century houses in west-central Wisconsin."